“You must be on steroids!”
“There’s no way you only use a TRX!”
“You must use a gym and weights!”
No, they aren’t the 3 stages. But they are 3 things I sometimes get told.
I’m not even that big, that athletic, that ripped or that muscular.
But I think due to the fake social world we live in and expectations it’s easier for people to assume a ‘cheat’ rather than a possibility.
All I use is a TRX with some body weight and Resistance Bands to achieve my body.
It’s all I have done for many years now.
However, there’s a lot more knowledge needed than just ‘using.’
People seem to walk into a gym believing they will become the hulk in no time at all.
Muscle development and fitness is a craft, it’s a mastery, just like anything else.
You wouldn’t walk into a mathematicians office and assume you will be Albert Einstein straight away.
There would be an appreciation that it would take many many years to acquire the skills and knowledge with multiple failings to become a mathematician.
It’s exactly the same for muscle building and athletic fitness regardless of the tool used (tool being a TRX resistance band, dumbbells etc).
The below is what I have spent a long time obsessively learning, failing and re-learning to get to the point at which I currently am.
And thus… No, I don’t take steroids.
The 3 stages I used to build my physique with a TRX…
Stage 1: Beginner
- Practice and understand full ROM (rang of motion)
- Practice and understand what what the mind-muscle connection is
- Understand Macros and how to count calories for specific goals
- Understand simple supplements such as protein and creatine and how/when to use them
- Understanding what tempo, reps and sets mean and how to perform exercises to them correctly
- Understand the difference between muscle centric TRX exercise (what i practice and teach) compared to TRX movement exercise, what the majority do (highly ineffective in my opinion).
- Understand and practice progressive overload with TRX creative exercise
Stage 2: Intermediate
- Understand the 3 strength ranges of a muscle: concentric; isometric and eccentric and practice perfect form across every TRX exercise to challenge those ranges effectively
- Understand and implement the foundational three pillars and the vital role they play to health and fitness and thus muscle building: sleep; stress and gut health
- Understand how to contract a muscle violently and correctly at the top, stretch it at the bottom and place the mind inside the muscle, mind – muscle connection.
- Understand nutrient timing what foods to eat at what time for optimal muscle growth
- Understanding food pairings and when to eat them with training: carbs with protein, fats with protein. One energy source at a time
- Understanding insulin sensitivity, when to spike it and when not to
- Understand how to naturally spike testosterone and HGH with training and how to help promote it throughout the day for growth
- understanding more advanced supplements such as EAA’s, glutamine, luicine, l-cartonite, ashwanagnda, vitamin C
- Understand what chasing ‘the pump’s and how to get it
- Understanding and consistently practicing how to completely isolate a single muscle, load it and keep a constant tension upon it through a range of motion
- Understanding how to use forms of keto and targeted carbohydrate in-take for successful fat loss in dieting
Stage 3: Advanced
- Understanding the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems and how and when to use then for recovery and muscle building.
- Understanding and applying how to take a muscle to ABSOLUTE FAILURE across the three strength ranges through partials, isometrics and pause reps whilst maintaining perfect form and full ROM
- Understanding nasal breathing and the importance of nitrous oxide in performance and development
- Understanding the 2 different energy pathways gyloctic and gluconeogensynis, how and when to use them for muscle building and fat loss
- Understanding bulking and cutting using cyclical cycling for insulin sensitivity and testosterone release for maximising muscle growth constantly
- Understanding the importance of VO2 capacity and it’s effect of mitochondria function for fat loss and how and when to improve it within a diet
Stage 4: TRX Jedi Master
Working on it…
AND I still class myself as amateur hungry to learn so so much more.
The above is purely my opinion.
But when someone asks me… “did you honestly achieve your body with just TRX training?” I reply…
“No. I achieved it With TRX training combined with and all the above principles applied.”
And all these principles I use to craft the TRX Fitness Freedom Programs.
So anyone can have the ability to achieve their fitness goals anywhere!
Pin this post for later…